A multistory design or split level home may have a handful of different baby proofing issues. However, baby proofing it to give babies safe accommodation is not separate from preparing any other style of the house.
The split level home has a long set of steps that a child can fall down. Confirm your babies are safe, by using government-approved baby gates that are properly installed at the main level, or both the top and bottom of the stairs.
Tips: Never use a freestanding baby gate for any kind of stairs. They are only for the rooms.
However, among so many choices on the market, choosing the split level stairs baby gate can be difficult, especially for new parents.
So here I’ve reviewed my favorite Gates for Split Level Stairs or home to make that easier for you. However, before buying make sure you checked all the requirements of your split level home, your home’s decor, and of course, your budget.
Here are my Reviews on Top 3 Baby Gates for Split Level Stairs
1. Toddleroo by North States 72″ wide Deluxe Décor Baby Gates
With Toddleroo by North States Deluxe Décor baby gates for split level stairs, you can make your split level home more fun while baby proofing it.
With adding security and elegance to your house with large openings, this exclusive matte bronze finish is intended to provide outstanding richness and longevity. It is sturdy from high-quality materials to resist strict day-to-day use.
It opens easily with one hand and automatically closes with a triple-locking mechanism for additional safety. And the stay-open feature will come in handy for any busy house. This baby gate can be set to swing open out, in, or in both directions to secure you more efficiently.
Alternatively, you can simply use the hold-open function to avoid the baby gate from having to close.
Do you require a longer baby gate to the baby proof kitchen area? No worries, up to an additional six 15 “Extensions (sold separately) can be added to increase the gate’s capacity to 162”.
- Measurements: 7.17 x 7.17 x 2.99 inches.
- Height: 30 inches.
- Weight: 4.41 pounds.
- Bars are 2″ apart.
- Manufacturer recommended age from 12 months to 2 years.
- Materials: Metal.
- Versatile and reliable – acting as a portable playpen, baby gates, or safety barriers for babies.
- One-hand operation with the hold-open feature.
- Works on carpet, tile, hardwood floors, etc., without scratching.
- Hardware mount installation.
- Mounts to straight and angled walls and can be used to baby proof fireplace.
- Metal construction.
- Customer reviews, 4.7 out of 5 stars.
- No door alarms.
2. Regalo 2-in-1 Extra Tall Baby Gates
The Extra Tall Regalo Top of stair gates are one of the best baby gates out there, which is durable, efficient to secure your active child from the risks of split level stairs.
Regalo baby gates were designed with quality and durability in mind, as they are made entirely of steel. Expands to fit stairwells and openings ranging from 24 to 40.5 inches wide, which is best for split level homes. It measures 38 inches tall.
This baby gate swings open with an easy rotating latch, allowing easy passage through your split level stairs. The baby gate is designed to be sleek for your house and secures your baby, with a hinge system that allows for a tight fit.
The hardware mounts are also included, and they are simple to install on walls or banisters. You can remove baby gates easily out of the opening or stairs to keep them in your basement or storage room. Regalo baby gates comply with all JPMA and ASTM standards and guarantees safety.
You can also buy it from Walmart
-You’ll find a gap in between the latch and the frame prior to installation. This is NOT a flaw; it will be fixed during installation.
-Avoid using abrasive cleaners or bleach.
- Measurements: 40.5 x 1 x 36 inches.
- Height: 38 inches.
- Weight: 8.95 pounds.
- Manufacturer recommended ages are from 6 months to 3 years.
- Materials: Steel.
- Certified to both JPMA and ASTM standards.
- Durable, hardware mounted, and easy to set up.
- Easy pass-through with rotating latch.
- All the hardware mounting kits are included.
- Best to baby proof bookshelf as well.
- Customer reviews are 4.3 out of 5.
- The instruction manual is poorly written.
3. BalanceFrom Easy Walk-Thru Safety Baby Gate
BalanceFrom Easy Walk-Thru Safety baby gate can be used as a pet gate for small dogs or cats, but it is also useful as a child gate on your split level stairs. There’s no need for a screw. This pressure gate with pressure mounting construction allows for quick and safe installation while safeguarding your house walls.
This handy baby gate has an auto-close feature that gently closes the gate behind you, as well as the hold-open function that holds the doorways open. With a walk-through front door, this all-steel baby gate is both robust and efficient for split level homes or stairs.
This one of the best baby gates complies with all USA safety standards. For two years, all genuine BalanceFrom products are backed by a 100% BalanceFrom satisfaction guarantee- even though, this white baby gate is very well made, has a nice finish, is attractive, and appears to last for many years.
THE GAP IN THE TOP IS NOT A DESIGN FAILURE. All you have to do is tighten the screws, and the gap disappears. This is how it is designed so that you have a strong baby gate.
- Product Measurements after assemble from 29.1 – 33.8 inches wide.
- Height: 30 inches.
- Weight: 15 pounds.
- 1-inch thick bar.
- Materials: Steel.
- Choose for openings between 29.1″ to 33.8″, 29.1″ to 38.5″, 29.1″ to 43.3″, 43.3″ to 48″, 43.3″ to 52.7″, 43.3″ to 57.5″, or 57.5″ to 62.2″. (Accurately measure the opening space before purchasing)
- Comes with a 100% BalanceFrom satisfaction support for 2 years.
- Hold open.
- Auto close.
- Long lasting.
- Multiple sizes to choose from.
- Easy to clean.
- Customer reviews, 4.6 out of 5.
- Customer service could be better.
Other Ways to Baby Proof Split Level Stairs
Instead of any baby gates, use these ideas or tips to ensure that your split level stairs are completely baby proofed.
- To keep your babies safe, make sure your split level stairs are never overloaded with clutter.
- Parents must be aware of putting or hanging any items on the split level stairs, as a matter of fact, on any stairs. Even if only for a short time, as kids can easily trip on them and fall on the ground.
- Place non-slip mats on the open risers of your split level stairwell. It will help your babies in avoiding slipping and falling.
- Attach clear banister guards to your split level stairs. These elasticized sheets are securely fastened with zip ties and are designed to secure children from sticking their feet through the banister slats.
- Split level stairs can fail due to a variety of factors such as loose screws, cracked wood, and damaged metal pieces. Maintaining the stairs regularly to ensure the utmost satisfaction is another important thing.
NB: No precaution tips or baby gates are safer than keeping babies under supervision.
Final Verdict: Which one to choose?
Well, now, if you are still wondering and want my personal opinion, I would go with the BalanceFrom Easy Walk-Thru Safety Gate (No. 3 in the article). Because as a mom, I’ve already used it while baby proofing my home for my little ones. Overall, it was a great solution for my split level stairs.
This tall & stylish baby gate can give you all the convenient functions one new parent or pet owner might need. BalanceFrom baby gates come with smart features like One Handed Operation, Auto Close feature with Hold Open function. All these functions will make your daily life extra convenient and a safe room for your babies to grow freely.
However, if you are looking for something that you can mount on your angled walls or carpeted floor, then go for the Toddleroo by North States Deluxe Décor baby gate. Other parents seem to love it.