How long can parents keep entertaining their kids indoors? I saw my baby being so bored being in the house playing with all the basic toys. Every kid needs to have a certain amount of outdoor exposure for healthy development.
Especially in summers, keeping them inside is a big-time struggle.
So, I searched a lot for something interesting for my kid that has some beneficial aspects. Thus I settled on purchasing an outdoor baby swing for my little angel. Outdoor swings are admirable for spatial awareness and motor development in children.
While selecting the best outdoor swing, I saw the market is overwhelmed with a devastating number of options. What I did was I went for testing a lot of them as I was not ready to compromise the quality.
The process took a long but eventually, I have got the best ones (also, some are suitable for special needs children with disabilities), and I cannot wait to share a great review with you guys. And I have added all the necessary information regarding outdoor swings (that’s a bonus gift from a fellow parent!).
So, let’s get going.
My Favorite Top 3 picks
Parenting can give you real hard times, and reading such extended content can be difficult. Thus I have picked the top 3 products to save valuable time.
- Little Tikes 2-in-1 Snug N Secure Swing
- Step2 Infant to Toddler Swing Seat
- Eastern Jungle Gym Toddler Swing Seat (Best in Budget!)
I would still suggest everyone go through the detailed reviews for better knowledge. But if it is hectic for you, the above list is your guardian angel.
Top 10 Outdoor Baby and Toddler Swings
Eastern Jungle Gym Toddler Swing Seat
Vibrant color, great design, and attractive outlook
Gorilla Playsets Outdoor Baby Swing
Two-seat straps and a lap bar for better safety
Little Tikes 2-in-1 Snug N Secure
Suitable for multiple age range (from infants to toddlers)
Step2 Infant to Toddler Swing
The weather-resistant rope ensures durability
Little Tikes Princess Cozy Coupe
High backed pink color car-themed swing
Monkey & Mouse Secure Canvas and Wooden Hanging Swing
Great for both indoors and outdoors
Sorbus Saucer Tree Swing
Waterproof oxford cloth material for the seat
Squirrel Products Combo
Combo pack offers two swings at a time; a bucket swing and a sling swing
Happy Pie Play & Adventure
100% cotton fabric ensures no toxic element at all
Jaketen 3-in-1 Toddler Swing Seat
High-grade plastic material
Best Overall Outdoor Swing for babies- Little Tikes 2-in-1
The best in the bucket, this Little Tikes, has been trending all over the markets. Practical structure, high-end materials, utmost safety, and sturdily built help maintain the supremacy for years now. The two in one formula keep the parents satisfied and make it the source of sheer entertainment.
Let’s jump into the technical facts.
It comes with 35 inches of solid ropes, which can be ideally used both indoors and outdoors. The installation process with the rope becomes super easy. Even if being in your backyards for years, maintains the seat color.
There is a hinged T bar that turns this outdoor baby swing to be suitable for both infants and toddlers. If anyone does not like the T bar, it can be pulled under the seat. It rotates down the seat and can be clipped with the straps from behind. This way, it can be used both as a bucket swing and a regular swing.
Though it does not come with anchors, it compensates the users with maximum fall height. The seat comes with straps for safety. But once the child outgrows, one can put the straps under the arms, and for toddlers, the straps can be removed.
The strap clip has covers; the adults have to press within the cover to unclip the straps. The cover ensures its excellence over safety features. The outstanding safety also functions for special kids.
Data Chart Based On the Practical Reviews:
Considering this outdoor baby swing’s colossal fan base, I have initiated a chart based on other parents’ reviews. I have evaluated the product based on some basic parameters that a toddler or baby swing must have. Have a glance:
As The Chart shows, all the parents I conducted this review have given full ratings to all the parameters. Thus it completely justifies keeping this best outdoor baby swing on the top of our list.
- Weight Limit: 50 lbs.
- Manufactured In the USA, it comes in different ranges of colors and sleek design
- It comes with a hinged, rotatable T bar
- Suitable for multiple age range (from infants to toddlers)
- Available sea straps for safety standards and comfort
- Around 7 feet fall height
What’s the safest Outdoor Toddler Swing?
It comes with a hinged T bar and shoulder straps yet ensure comfort and security to your extra enthusiastic child. Shoulder straps are secured with clips and quite impossible to unlock for the babies. These advanced safety features rank this outdoor baby swing as the best one to meet the list’s safety standards.
And also appropriate for special needs children as it can support and protect them very well.
Moreover, Manufactured with polyethylene and polypropylene plastic material, this toddler swing specializes in every day and rough use. The design supports a wide age range, which means parents can easily pass it down from one child to another.
Be it a toddler or a baby; this toddler swing set serves every kid’s needs. And parents need not invest in new ones now and then.
The weather-resistant rope maintains durability no matter how long it has been hanging in your backyard. A high seat back works great for neck support for infants and improves motor skills among toddlers.
Parents can ignore the maintenance as the wipe-clean-approved seat is super easy to clean. Fashionable design and soothing color will complement the backyard.
- Weight Limit: 50 lbs.
- Age limit: 9 months to 3 years
- The weather-resistant rope ensures durability
- High seat back for better head and neck support
- T bar and seat belts provide safety
- Lightweight and Easy to install
- Easy wipe clean seat
What Is the Best Portable Outdoor Swing for Baby?
If you are here to find the best portable canvas baby swing that you can carry around anywhere, I would suggest this particular one. And guess what? You might have to carry it everywhere with your child because your child won’t stop asking for it no matter where he/she goes. Yes, it is that good.
Regarding portability, I must mention, it comes with a complimentary bag pack. It allows you to carry this canvas baby swing and also solves storage issues.
The structure focuses on ensuring comfort. The UV-protected cotton fabric is very relaxing. It also offers a detachable cushion for coziness. Once your child grows up, you can simply eliminate the pillow for extra room.
The bucket system seat is deep enough and also has a safety harness. Engaging beech wood toys keep the child busy for a while. Parents can take a little break; no safety issues, and giggling is all you would hear.
Beechwood structure is super-sturdy yet easy to assemble and store. The fabric is machine washable that means bye-bye to all the hassles.
- Weight Limit: 110 lbs.
- Age Limit: 6 months to 4 years
- Seat Details:15.7 inches deep and wide
- 51 to 67 inches marine-grade adjustable rope
- UV protected double-sided cotton canvas bucket seat
- Available wide leg opening and seat harness
- Easy mounting with “0” rings and lockable carbineers
- Great for both indoors and outdoors
Overall Best 7 Outdoor Baby Swings in 2021
Gorilla Playsets – Best for Durability
Gorilla Playsets are there in the business for probably the longest time (almost three decades!). The brand itself promises excellent quality and undeniable durability. This infant swing is a staple for parents looking for the first swing for their babies.
Though it refers to be an infant swing, the age range can lead to fit, even toddlers. The innovative design comes in three vibrant colors (green, blue, and pink). The seat comes with two straps to keep your baby scored into the seat.
There is also a lap bar for better protection and no risk of falling. The most significant fact is the high seat back which is impeccable for the back support of infants. It perfectly secures the head and neck of the baby.
Built with high-density plastic meets (ASTM) standards, thus guarantees the surety of nontoxic and harmless material for your kid. It does not provide any mount hangers but comes with a rope that can be attached to any residential playsets without any hardship.
- Weight Limit: 35 pounds
- Age Limit: 7 months to 3 years
- High grade, non-toxic plastic material
- Two-seat straps and a lap bar for better safety
- The set includes rope for effortless installation
- High seat back for extensive back support
- Waterproof design ensures easy cleaning
Little Tikes Princess – Best for Car Themed Design
If your kid is hyper imaginative and enjoys fancy toys, this baby swing is the best possible option on my list. The car-themed swing grabs attention, unlike other plain swings. Especially if your baby relishes car riding (and even if not), Cozy Coupe is just your thing.
It is designed in a manner that children feel like flying in a car. The bright pink color is best for your girl child to make her feel like a princess. The material is weather-resistant and lasts super long. I had hanged it for more than six months in my backyard, yet the color didn’t fade away.
The high-backed seat comes with a safety harness to ensure safety. The leg openings are wide enough to provide the necessary comfort to your kid. There is a steering wheel that turns, and the steering comes with a horn.
The rope comes with an “S” shaped hook, or you can adjust it with any of the swing sets available at your place. It requires minor assembly but won’t take more than 10 minutes. I have seen sometimes the rope gets slightly misbalanced (it might have happened to mine only); anyways, you can add a chain to balance it out.
- Weigh Limit: 35 lbs.
- Age Limit: 9 months to 3 years
- High backed pink color car-themed swing
- The steering comes with a horn
- Safety harness available
- The wide leg opening for comfort
- It takes minimal time to assemble
- Weatherproof nylon rope
Eastern Jungle Gym – Limited Budget Swing
The sturdiest one on the list, this toddler bucket swing feels like being in the parks. It is so similar to the park swings that you will have to struggle to get off your little ones from this.
The bucket shape provides 360-degree safety and leaves you tension-free for your special needs children. Sturdy polyethylene material ensures utmost strength to hold up to 150 lbs. From infants to 5 years old kids, this toddler swing can endure it all.
With this bucket swing, you no longer can complain about short-length ropes. The high-quality chain is around 66 inches long, and the base 30 inches is yellow plastisol coated for no-pinch assurance. No matter how tiny the hands are, no possibilities of getting pinched.
It can be mounted to any 9 inch high beams, or it also comes with hooks. The additional 2/0 swing chains are coated with zinc and are rust-resistant.
The bucket baby swing seat comes with a high back for proper support and is constructed with copolymer plastic. The leg openings are spacious enough and comfortable.
- Weight Limit: 150 lbs.
- Age Limit: 5 years
- Seat Measurement: Bucket depth 11.5 inch, front to back 11.5 inch, side to side 10 inch
- High-grade polyethylene plastic material
- Vibrant color, great design, and attractive outlook
- Copolymer plastic seat is extremely strong
- 66-inch long chain
- 30 inches yellow plastisol coated chain for pinch protection
- It comes assembled; thus, no hassle for assembly
- Additional 2/0 swing chain is rust-resistant and zinc coated
Sorbus Saucer – Indoor/Outdoor Round Mat Baby Swing
Different from being mainstream, this indoor-outdoor baby swing is designed in the shape of a saucer. This Sturdy and comfy swing is for older children or toddlers. It is perfect for regular playdates, and even adults can enjoy this during parties or in a casual family get-together.
This indoor-outdoor swing is suitable for children above three years and develops their sensory activities and overall development. It can be used as a hammock, swing seat, or adjusted to swing sets; this multi-functional swing can be transformed in any way you want.
The seat is adjusted to a 63-inch long suspension rope, and the rope is connected to metal steel rings. It hangs from 2 points and ensures proper balance. The seat associates multiple colors; blue, yellow, green, purple, orange. Be it a tree, swing hook, or any beams; It can be mounted anywhere.
The 40-inch saucer seat is manufactured with oxford cloth and polyethylene material. The high-grade material keeps it strong to hold up to 330 pounds. Even the tube frame is made of steel and padded with 1.6-inch NBR foam.
- Weight Limit: 330 pounds
- Age Limit: Above three years
- 40-inch saucer seat with 45-degree maximum tilt
- It can be mounted anywhere thus extremely portable
- Suitable for 2 to 3 children to sit at a time
- Polyethylene plastic material
- Alloy steel frame lasts long
- 63-inch weather-resistant nylon rope
- Waterproof oxford cloth material for the seat
- Includes flags, hardware, and instruction manual
If you are looking for something that can suffice both your infant and toddler’s need at a time, nothing can be better than this combo. The Squirrel swing set comes in a combo of a bucket swing and a strap swing.
Made of heavy-duty plastic and the bucket seat being coated with good material, ensure a safe exposure for your child’s skin. Instead of nylon ropes, this outdoor swing set comes with a 60-inch heavy-duty metal chain. Thirty inches of the chain is coated with high-grade plastic to minimize any pinch.
The bucket swing has a high back to support the infants and also provides 360-degree protection and enough leg exposure for comfortable sitting. On the other hand, the strap swing works excellent for older children.
The swing set altogether will feel like having your own amusement park in your backyard. Bright color, combo pack, and excellent quality ensure an enjoyable experience for your kids.
- Weight Limit: 140 lbs.
- Age Limit: 6 months to 4 years for bucket swing and above four years for a sling swing
- Combo pack offers two swings at a time; a bucket swing and a sling swing
- 60-inch long heavy duty metal chain
- 30-inch plastic coated chain to prevent accidental pinch
- High-grade material ensures durability
- The DIY installation process is so easy and does require any professional help
HAPPY PIE PLAY&ADVENTURE – Best Eco-Friendly Outdoor Swing
First thing first, Happy Pie won my heart due to its easy maintenance and zero toxic exposure to my baby’s skin. Most of the swings are plastic made, and the 100% cotton fabric canvas is way healthier as it does not contain any harmful substance.
The frame is made of natural beech wooden sticks, thus does not risk rusting. This hammock-style swing can be used both indoor outdoor and is exceptionally comfortable for children to sit. Moreover, as it does not have any edges, there is no slightest scope of any injures.
The PE ropes are adjustable and adjust from 49 inches to 57 inches. It comes with a back cushion for more comfort. Though it does not provide any safety harness or seat straps, the design is enclosed. That means no risk of accidental falling.
There are smooth wooden rings, and children love to play with them. The most important feature of this indoor-outdoor swing is its portability. It can be easily carried along; cleaning the fabric canvas is very easy, and no hassle of storage.
- Weight Limit: 150 lbs.
- Age Limit: 6 months to 3 years
- Adjustable PE ropes, 49 inches to 57 inches adjustability
- Detachable cushion for better comfort
- 100% cotton fabric ensures no toxic element at all
- Easy assembly; takes only a few moments
- High-quality beech wooden frame
Jaketen 3-in-1 Toddler Outdoor Swing – Best for Strength
The most powerful toddler swing set on the list, let alone toddlers, can bear even teens. Apart from the strength, this is a 3 in 1 combo; thus, parents won’t need to invest in new swings now and then.
It has a detachable high back and a front T bar guard to protect the baby. For infants, parents can use it with a high back and front bar. Once the baby grows up, the front bar can be removed to create more space.
The high back can be there as long as babies cannot support themselves. And for older kids, the high back can also be removed, and it can be used as a sling swing. Thus a perfect three-in-one combo to invest.
It comes with a nylon rope and plastic seat. The rope height is adjustable and can be installed anywhere indoors or outdoors. The set comes with all the accessories required for assembly.
- Weight Limit: 300 lbs.
- Age Limit: Above six months
- Front T bar guard ensures high safety
- Seat measurement: 13 x 9.6 x 13.8 inch
- It comes in different vibrant colors
- 78.7-inch adjustable nylon rope
- High-grade plastic material
Complete Buying Guide: Choose the Right Outdoor Swing for Baby
Here’s a quick video on how to buy the best outdoor baby swing:
There are specific facts that one must not avoid while buying outdoor swings. Through my extensive research and personal experience, I have created a list of things to consider while purchasing an outdoor swing. Do check the following segment for better details.
Age and Weight Recommendation
Most of the reputed brands attach a weight and age range recommendation for a particular swing. Not every swing is suitable for every age. There are swings for infants, toddlers, and bigger kids. Always buy the swing that recommends being ideal for your child’s age.
The same goes for the weight; there is a particular weight limit for every swing. Ignoring this limit means risking your baby’s safety.
Once the child outgrows, it is time to replace the existing baby swing and opt for a new one.
It is the most crucial factor to consider. Most baby swings are built with steel, plastic, and wood. No matter what the material is, it should be high grade and of good quality. Even high dense plastics are perfect. Steel is also excellent as a swing material and is highly durable as well. But steel swings are heavy and quite difficult to move.
Woods are the best option if you want to contribute to the environment. Natural beechwood, redwood, and cedarwood are some of the best options.
Anything that is nontoxic and durable is approvable as the baby swing material. And for the swing frame, the material must be sturdy enough to hold the baby’s weight.
Cotton and nylon ropes are basic, but chains are sometimes used as ropes. Rope quality is paramount as it is directly related to your little one’s safety.
Nylon rope is robust; on the contrary, cotton ropes or woven ropes are environment-friendly and gentle to babies’ fingers. Cotton ropes are less strong for an outdoor baby swing, but cotton rope works fine for indoor ones.
Chains are also acceptable options unless they tend to rust. Sometimes chains can pinch the baby’s fingers. Also, there are chains coated with substances that prevent finger pinching.
Parents should focus more intensively on safety features. First of all, the swing seat must have a seat belt or safety harness to secure the baby in the swing seat. Some of the baby swings have a T bar or seat bar to prevent children from falling.
The swing seat should be high-backed to provide the necessary support to the infants. Besides, Bucket seats should be deep enough to fit the baby well.
Parenting itself is very challenging. You surely won’t take more challenges regarding the installation of the swing, will you? Thus opt for a swing that can be mounted anywhere without any hassle.
Some of the swings need to be assembled. The same goes for assembly as well; pick one that takes minimal assembly time and effort.
Whenever you are on for a visit to a relative’s place, you surely won’t mind carrying the swing with you. And your baby either won’t stop asking for the swing. Thus portability is essential regarding any outdoor swing.
Swings with cotton seats are primarily easy to carry along. Also, some baby swings are designed in a way to be friendly to move around. Thus check for such ones.
Comfort depends mainly on the swing seat quality, but there are other factors as well. If the seat is spacious enough for the baby, it will be more relaxing. If the seat size is not appropriate, children won’t be interested in being on the swing.
Again, the safety harness or seat bar should be comforting. If the harness is too tight, eventually, babies will feel suffocated. The leg opening is also essential; a wide leg opening is a must.
Types of Outdoor Baby and Toddler Swings
Outdoor swings are versatile, and each type suffices special requirements. Prior to your purchase, get a brief idea about different kinds of swings. It will help you to determine yours.
An infant swing mainly focuses on ensuring safety standards, and seat belts are a must. Most of the infant swings do not offer any extra toys or additional things. Seats are designed to support the entire body, especially the head and neck. Moreover, they are relatively smaller in size.
Toddler swings are colorful and intersecting to seek attention from the toddlers. Toddler swings are bigger and often designed on different themes (cars, toys, and even boats). These swings come with engaging toys, added pillows, and wide seats. Toddler swings are relatively stronger than infant swings and come with extended durability.
These are circular and can occupy 3 to 4 children at a time. These swings are mainly for playdates. Bigger babies enjoy these swings. It even works great for adults as well. These are very easy to mount.
Hammock swings are primarily structured with rope or woven material, but some brands also use cotton canvas to make hammock-style swings. Cotton canvas is more relevant for kids as ropes or woven fabrics are not entirely safe for babies.
These types of swings are closed from a 360-degree angle. There are only leg openings for the babies. Bucket swings are significant for supporting the whole body of a baby.
These are the traditional swings that we see in amusement parks. Sling swings are open from the front and back thus are not recommended for younger babies. Babies above six years are safe in sling swings.
Wooden swings are eco-friendly and do not include any plastic material. For parents who want 100% nontoxic elements for their babies, the wooden swing is a perfect choice.
Tire swings are DIYed with old or new tires. These swings are tied horizontally or vertically with a rope on a tree or a swing hook. Tire swings are not the safest option, but for bigger babies, this can be fun. Parents with little to no budget can try tire swings for bigger kids.
Swings for Babies who need Special Care
Last but the most important one, being a parent myself, I could not complete the list without researching about swings for special needs kids. Due to their unfortunate disabilities, they need swings with extra safety and comfort. Some great brands manufacture swings that may serve the needs of special needs children.
Where to Place an Outdoor Swing?
Due to lack of experience, I have struggled a lot with setting up the swing in the right place. But failure teaches you the best lesson.
Thus with multiple failed options, I finally managed to discover the best place to set a swing. Check it out.
- No doubt, your baby will be on the swing all day long during the summers. To protect them from direct sun, you can hang the swing set under a tree. If there is no such tree in your backyard, you can always add a temporary porch or umbrella over the swing hanger.
- Place the baby swing on even ground. If possible, try to place it over the floor with sand and avoid the hard ground. Even if any accidental fall happens, the ground covered with sand will be relatively less harmful. Or you can also place a mattress right under the swing to prevent any serious injury.
- Place the swing to a specific part of your backyard that is easily visible from the house. So, you can quickly check on your kid even when you are inside the house.
- An outdoor baby swing set should be placed 17 to 24 inches above the ground for better efficiency.
Safety Tips for Outdoor Swings
- Always look for the weight and age range recommendation. Every swing comes with a certain weight and age range. If your baby crosses the limit, it is time to invest in another swing set. Never avoid the manufacturer’s recommendation.
- Make sure the swing is anchored appropriately. Go through the manufactures’ instructions and install accordingly. If possible, seek assistance from someone who has prior experience.
- Check out the rope quality and its strength. Make sure the rope is not loose anywhere.
- Whether the swing is in the back yard or the hallway, create enough space. There should stay nothing around 6 feet of the swing.
- It would be best if you smoothened all the sharp edges in the swing and around the swing.
- If the swing comes with a chain rope, always watch out if it protects the fingers from being pinched or not.
Pros and Cons
No doubt swinging is excellent for relaxation, but to an extent, it comes with some downsides as well. But the good news is the positive impact is way more prominent than the negative ones. Let’s lookout at the pros and cons of swings.
- It almost feels like being in a mother’s womb. The swings’ rocking and bouncing movement mimic the mother’s womb’s feeling, thus keeps the baby calm and relaxed.
- Outdoor swings give proper exposure to the environment, especially fresh air. Children learn to interact with nature and the outside world.
- The swinging motion strengthens the core muscles of a child. It also helps to enhance grip control.
- An outdoor swing can be very attractive to a child and can be a great way to eliminate gadget addiction among kids. They may tend to spend more time on swings rather than gadgets.
- Parents may enjoy some hands-free time while the child is busy on the swings.
- The rhythmic motion helps to soothe a cranky child. It also helps in maintaining the sleep pattern. As the baby gets tired due to the playtime on the swing, it becomes easy to put them on sleep.
- Swings are a storehouse of entertainment. Hardly there would be any child who won’t enjoy being on swings.
- According to the American Academy of Pediatrics (AAP), being on the swing seat for a longer time span and sleeping only in a swing can be harmful to a kid. And even for infants, there is a specific age limit. Before 3 to 4 months, it is not suitable for a child to be on swings.
- Outdoor swings especially are associated with some safety issues. As the swing generally is located outdoors, supervision is necessary.
- Babies can be habituated to playtime on swings, and too much time on the swing can create serious addiction. Thus the swinging time should be strictly limited.
- Swing seats manufactured with low-grade plastic material can be harmful. It may cause rashes and other skin problems.
Do I need an infant to toddler swing for my baby?
An infant to toddler swing will be appropriate for both toddlers and infants. If you have multiple kids with different age range, you can always buy toddler to infant swing as it will be suitable for every baby. Some infant to toddler swings also come in combo sets; thus, it is appropriate for multiple kids at a time.
Again, for Parents who don’t want to replace the existing swing and would love to use only one swing, toddler to infant swing will be great for them because infant to toddler swing does not need replacement until it is damaged.
Are toddler swings expensive?
Toddler swings are mainly bigger and also come with different educational toy options. Again, these swings are manufactured with high-grade material to bear the extra weight.
These additional features may charge a bit more than basic infant swings. Generally, they are more on the expensive side. But there are plenty of options, and one can always find something within a budget.
At what age is it safe for my child to swing in a toddler swing?
A toddler swing usually doesn’t have intense safety features; they mostly have the essential safety measurements. Thus a baby must be old enough to support themselves to be on a toddler swing.
Once the baby can support the head and neck by themselves or balance the body weight, he/she is ready to be on a toddler swing. Mostly between 12 months to 4 years, a baby is appropriate for toddler swings.
I have tried to provide an outline of the best outdoor baby swing in different categories. Each one is perfect for particular needs; some may be great for toddlers, some are good for infants, again some are suitable for older kids.
I have also ranked the top three products based on my own experience and customer reviews. You can always look for a quick recommendation, but I would suggest the parents read the detailed reviews to ensure a fair deal.
Yet if you are still indecisive, go for my top recommendation, the Little Tikes 2 -in- 1 Snug ‘n Secure Grow With Me Swing. You will never be disappointed.
Choose whatever swing you feel like; each one will serve with the best quality on the list. No doubt.