Freestanding gates are excellent for areas in which there are no adjoining walls to which a baby gate can be attached. these gates are portable and easily moveable to other locations where you need them.
However, finding the baby gates to keep your baby secure is a difficult task. You can see what I mean by having a simple Amazon search. The market is flooded with options, and each brand appears to be superior to the others.
That is why I created this ultimate list of the best freestanding baby gates for the new year with the help of the best baby gate reviews by parents. This will be a one-stop article for learning everything there is to know about baby gates so that you can make an informed choice. And besides, it is a concern with your most precious one’s safety, and you don’t want to take any chances.
My Favourite Best Freestanding Baby Gate comparison table
Toddleroo by North States
Evenflo Versatile Play Space
Toddleroo by North States Superyard
Summer Custom Fit
Toddleroo by North States Superyard Play Yard
PAWLAND Tall Baby/ Dog gate
1. Toddleroo by North States 3 in 1
This world-class baby gate is a versatile and reliable baby gate, that comes from one of the leading brands in the market. The swinging walk through door panels has a child-proof double locking mechanism.
The mounting hardware is built to facilitate extra tall baseboards and can be installed on angled walls or angled openings. Also, these hardware mounted gates can act as portable playpens. The Superyard baby gates have locking panels, and they can configure to fit any open spaces, giving you infinitely additional panels options (sold separately).
- Measurements: 30 x 2 x 151 inches.
- Width: 144 inches long, extra wide baby gate with 10 sq. ft. enclosure.
- Height: 30 inches tall.
- Weight: 34 Pounds.
- Recommended age: 3 months – 2 years.
- Their baby gates are JPMA certified.
- It is an extra wide baby gate and has a heavy duty metal frame.
- The system can be a freestanding or hardware mounted gate.
- Can be installed in an uneven wall or openings or angled walls.
- Walk through door panels.
- Can function as a portable playpen.
- For extra security, a double locking system is used.
- Infinitely extended option.
- Customer reviews, 4.8 out of 5.
- You must purchase an additional mounting kit if you configure this baby gate to use an odd number of panels, therefore, a bit extra cost.
2. Evenflo Versatile Play Space: Easy configurations
The latest Versatile Play Space baby gates provide over 18.5 square feet of safe, enclosed fun space to keep your baby secure. Unique reversible legs feature outdoor stakes for lawn stability and anti-movement. This baby gate has non-scratch floor pads for just any indoor floor surface.
Their unique hinge design allows for quick and easy set-up and folding. Easily unfold and attach the six UV weather resistant interlinked panels. Sleek edges and a molded handle make this baby gate easy to transport for safety on the go.
With two extra extension panels (Sold separately), you can increase the size of your play area with this versatile gate.
– Use these freestanding gates with a child who is not able to climb over, dislodge, or open the enclosure.
– Before using the baby products, carefully read all guidelines and cautions on the product, product labels, and instruction manuals.
– These baby products are not intended to be used as a barrier.
- Measurements: 29 x 8 inches.
- Height: 28 inches.
- Weight: 16.88 Pounds.
- Materials: Plastic.
- Maximum weight recommendation: 16.9 Pounds.
- Maximum age recommendation: 6 to 24 months.
- Exclusive reversible legs for anti-movement and lawn stability.
- Non-scratch foot pads for any interior surfaces.
- Over 18.5 feet and 28 inches tall.
- No tools are required to set up this baby gate.
- UV weather-resistant panels.
- Any panel can be a door of access in this freestanding gate.
- Additional panels are available.
- Lightweight gate, good for both outdoor use and indoor uses.
- Customer reviews, 4.7 out of 5.
- Somewhat flimsy.
3. Toddleroo by North States Superyard: Made in the US
One of America’s best freestanding baby gates and play yard can now function as an additional safety gate or barrier to keep your baby secure. Add more panels, or remove panels up to six to adjust differently shaped openings. The Superyard baby gates’ hinges help you to move and add panels freely for a great fit.
The vertical bars on the wall mounts keep the panels in place from wall to wall and fit nicely over crown molding. Each Superyard comes with skid-resistant pads to keep the safety gate or barrier secure on flat surfaces. Install these baby gates into a solid material like rubber wood or a stud behind Sheetrock or metal.
- Openings range from 38.5″ to more than 16′ wide.
- These baby gates will enclose a total area of about 18.5 square feet or 5.5 feet between two walls.
- Measurements: 201 x 26 x 26 inches.
- Weight: 23.28 pounds.
- Materials: steel.
- Recommended age: 6 months to 3 years.
- The baby gates are made of durable metal.
- This freestanding gate is simple to open for adults while being baby safe.
- Skid-resistant pads.
- Mechanism of Push-and-Lift.
- These baby gates close automatically, which is good if you have narrow spaces or openings.
- This baby gate has a Stay Open feature (over 90 degrees).
- You can add multiple panels, or removing panels is also possible.
- Good for both outdoor use and indoor uses.
- The curved baby gate works as a safety gate or barrier for small dogs too.
- Based on customer reviews, it has 4.2 out of 5.
- No specific walk through gate.
Here’s a video instruction:
4. Summer Custom Fit Walk-Thru: Extra Wide Baby Gate
The Summer Infant Custom Fit freestanding baby gates are beautiful gates to keep your small dogs and baby secure without sacrificing style. It has an extra wide walk through the door and is made of high-quality materials. This pressure mounted extra wide baby gate adjusts up to 143″ wide and 30 inches tall.
The Summer Infant Custom Fit baby gates allow parents to configure it in odd-shaped spaces, extra-wide openings and even create play areas in the corners of the house. Summer Infant freestanding gates can also serve as hardware mounted baby gates and the installation secures the gates in place.
The hinge distance from the wall to the gate is 1.5″, and the bottom hinge distance from the floor is approximately 7.5″. The quick and easy, one handed operation walk through door enables parents to move from one room to another with ease.
One should not use these Summer Infant free standing baby gates on uneven surfaces to ensure baby safety.
- Measurements: 30 x 0.25 x 29 inches.
- Height: 30 inches.
- Door opens from 65″ to 87″ (2 panels) or 87″ to 141″ (3 panels).
- Weight: 1 Pound.
- Materials: Plastic.
- Maximum height recommendation: 30 inches.
- The gates are extra wide 143 inches and tall 30 inches.
- Both pressure mounted as well as hardware mounted baby gate.
- Ideal for both toddlers and small dogs.
- Stylish and decorative neutral gray color.
- Customer reviews, 4.4 out of 5.
- Need extra hardware mounting tools to assemble.
- Can’t use on uneven surfaces.
- No specific walk through gate.
Watch the installation video guidelines by Summer:
5. Regalo 192-Inch Super Wide: Adjustable Baby Gates and Play Yard Combo
You can use the Regalo Super Wide freestanding baby gates in a variety of ways all around the house. This freestanding gate or playpen is perfect for wide spaces, angled or uneven walk through door/openings, hallways, door frames, fireplace guard, at the bottom of stairs, or any other dangerous areas.
The panels attach to detachable posts, which allow for a wide range of shaping options. You can mount the baby gates effortlessly to the wall. It features a double locks lever handle that allows adults to pass through.
The large play yard is made up of eight 24-inch wide detachable pressure mounted panels that can be detached to create up to 19 square feet of play space for your child.
– Please refer to the provided user manual to ensure that the baby gates are installed correctly.
– Check the baby gates daily to ensure that all hardware and mountings are securely fastened.
- You can expand this super wide baby gate with additional panels to fit openings 50.5 “-192″ and come with eight, 24” removable panels.
- Measurements: 192.13 x 0.39.
- Height: 27.95 inches.
- Weight: 30 Pounds.
- Manufacturer recommended ages are: 6 months to 3 years.
- These gates come with a manufacturer’s limited 90-day warranty.
- ASTM standards and JPMA certified and baby safe.
- All wall mounting hardware is included.
- Have a walk through gate.
- Possible to convert from super-wide baby gates to an 8-panel Stand Alone play yard.
- Portable & easy storage.
- PVC-free construction.
- Comes with an instruction manual.
- Customer reviews, 4.5 out of 5.
- I couldn’t find any major issue
Here’s the installation video guideline:
6. Toddleroo by North States Superyard Play Yard: Additional panels available
The Toddleroo by North States Superyard Colorplay is a great option for making a secure playpen for your child. These gates are easy to set up and fold down. It includes a carrying strap and non-slip pads. Your child will have a good time, and you will have peace of mind.
The pressure mounted durable plastic eight-panel multicolored baby gates & play yard create up to 34.4 square feet of protected play space. Which makes it difficult for either medium sized pets or children to climb.
With the use of “Superyard Wall Mount Kit,” the play yard can now function as an extra-wide safety gate with a maximum of 6 additional panels (sold separately). These baby gates are ideal for homes with large floor plans or open spaces that need to be closed off.
This is one of the best freestanding baby gates and has JPMA certification, also, they are made in the United States with pride.
These free standing baby gates/play yard pairs well with the handy Folding ABC Play Mat (sold separately). It adds extra relaxation and sensory stimulation during tummy time or other times!
- Measurements: 262.5 x 2 inches.
- Height: 26 inches.
- Fits openings: From 38 1/2 inches to over 16 feet wide.
- Weight: 26 Pound.
- Materials: Plastic.
- Maximum age recommendation: Safe for babies ages 6-24 months.
- JPMA certified
- BPA, lead-free, and baby safe.
- The play yard can be useful for both outdoor and indoor use.
- Panels snap together for easy setup.
- This freestanding gate has an easy wipe-clean design.
- Convenient carry strap included with molded handle.
- Proudly made in the USA.
- Customer reviews, 4.6 out of 5.
- No specific walk through gate.
You can also buy directly from the North states website.
7. PAWLAND: Extra Wide and Tall Baby/ Dog gate
Do your small pets or dog jumps over baby gates? These rubber wood pet gates or baby gates are extra tall and can convert into a fence, room divider, as well as a pet pen, or pet door all in the same. This pressure mounted freestanding gate is made of sturdy wood and strong steel wire. Rubber pads feet that are Non-Slip to protect your surface.
PAWLAND Extra Wide freestanding baby gates fold out into a wide Z-shape, allowing you to use them in double doors, full hallways, bedroom doors, standard doorways, staircases, or anywhere else in your home.
These baby gates quickly unfold like an accordion, making them simple to set up and store. Their pet gates and baby gates come completely assembled already. Also, included a set of steadying Support feet.
- Measurements: 33.5 x 27.25 x 4.75 inches.
- Open Dems: Up to 96 inches width x0.75 inches depth x 31.2 inches height.
- Collapsed Dems: 24 inches width x 3 inches depth x 31.2 inches height.
- Weight: 31 Pound.
- Materials: Wood and steel wire.
- Maximum age recommendation: 1 month and up.
- This gate can expand to fit almost any width.
- Arrives fully assembled.
- Folding, freestanding design with bottom support.
- This extra wide baby gate and pet gate is suitable for bigger to small dogs or small pets.
- Folds down quickly for easy storage.
- Sturdy gate that has non-slip rubber pads feet to keep your floors safe from scratching.
- Stylish and elegant looks great with almost any array of décor styles.
- Customer reviews, 4.6 out of 5.
- Quality control could be better.
Note: I bought it from Amazon because of the fast delivery but you can also buy it from Walmart.
Also read: Ways to Baby Proof Dog Bowls
Things to Consider Before Buying Freestanding Baby Gates
Not every freestanding baby gates are the same. Some gates come in different sizes, versions and have their own functionality. For instance, pressure mounted baby gates that are placed at the top or bottom of the stairs may not be appropriate for doorways.
There can be multiple free standing baby gates in doorways based on the spaces in the doors. The standard size baby gates will not be suitable for wide space doorways. In that matter, you will need an extra wide baby gate or baby gates that have extension panels available.
Considering all these factors, I’ve narrowed it down to the 4 most vital factors you must consider before buying freestanding baby gates.
The space you are trying to cover
As I said earlier, finding the baby gates that will serve your purpose should be your first priority. Design wise, houses can be different, and what worked for your neighbor might not work for you.
Think about which area you are trying to cover, whether it is the space in the doorways or the bottom or top of the stairs. Do you require a large baby gate or a standard size would do the work?
You might need a different type of freestanding baby gates altogether if you want to cover more critical space like near the fireplace, kitchen, etc.
The size of openings
Before investing in any freestanding baby gates, do a proper measurement of the area that you are trying to cover. Check all the options that you have in your hand. Baby gates come in multiple sizes, and based on the size of the opening you want to block, you will need either bigger or smaller size baby gates.
The height of your child
How tall your child is another key consideration before buying any free standing baby gates. In general, there is a thumb rule followed in this: the baby gates should be at least 3/4th of the height of a baby. In other words, it means the gate should be at least the height of their chest or shoulders.
However, always keep in mind, the free standing baby gates are meant for babies only. Once they are a bit older, the baby gates will no longer be safety gates, no matter how best baby gates they were. And you have to come up with an alternate safety option like hardware mounted baby gates.
Look for ASTM/JPMA certification
Look for an ASTM/JPMA certification tag. Best baby gates should meet all the standard requirements of the American Society for Testing and Materials, and Juvenile Products Manufacturers Association.
Frequesntly Asked Questions (FAQs)
Is freestanding baby gate safe?
Yes, it is. However, this kind of baby gates usage is limited, and it is suitable for babies only. Older kids can pretty much figure out how to push them and make their way unless it is a pressure mounted gate.
Where should you use freestanding baby gates?
You can use freestanding gates in doorways between rooms or at the bottom of the stairs. Remember, they can fall over if a child pushes hard enough. So, never use them on top of the stairs.
Choose straight top edge baby gates with either rigid bars or a tight mesh screen.
NB: For the top of the stairs, it’s mandatory that you use a hardware mounted baby gate.
Well, now, if you are still wondering and want my personal opinion, I would go with the Toddleroo by North States 3 in 1 Arched Décor Metal Superyard (No. 7 in the article). WHY? Because I’ve already used this baby gate while baby proofing my house. And we think this is one of the best freestanding baby gates out there in the market, both for babies and smaller pets!
This tall & extra wide baby gate can give you all the convenient functions one new parent might need. This versatile baby gate is convenient with many smart features, certification from JPMA and ASTM, an affordable price tag too. North States has a great review overall as well. What else could you hope for!
However, the final decision is entirely yours, based on your home decor, requirements, and of course, budget. But I hope this article was helpful for you to make that decision, whichever you choose.