Gentle Ease infant or baby Formula has been widely popular during this decade for its convenience and perks. Especially, working mothers are more prone to add it to the babies’ diet.
The Enfamil Gentle Ease is formulated as a substitution to milk to calm tummies with acidity and fuss. The formula includes additional nutrients such as DHA and probiotics for better digestion and overall growth.
To be frank and precise, there are the least chances that this formula may cause constipation to your baby.
Gentle Ease formula Ingredients: What’s actually in there?
A thorough inspection of the ingredients will easily give us an idea of whether any of them can contribute to constipation or not.
This formula contains partially hydrolyzed nonfat milk and whey protein concentrate solids (soy) as primary ingredients. Other than that, it has palm olein, soy, coconut, and high oleic sunflower oils) and less than 2%: Mortierella alpina oil, Schizochytrium sp. oil. Vitamins such as vitamin A palmitate, vitamin D3, vitamin E acetate, vitamin K1, thiamin hydrochloride, riboflavin, vitamin B6 hydrochloride, vitamin B12 are also present.
Apart from that, there are folic acid, calcium phosphate, zinc sulfate, sodium selenite, potassium iodide, folic acid, to name a few.
All these ingredients are essentials to promote health and ensure overall growth among babies. None of them can be labeled to upset stomach or to be allergic in any way.
Identify the Signs of Constipation among babies
Identifying constipation among newborns and babies is quite a task and highly confusing. Constipation among babies does not only mean hard stool, and other signs may hint at constipation.
- Dry, hard, pebble-like stools
- Pain and heavy crying during bowel movements
- Constant fussy and grumpy behavior
- Bloating, gas, and tendency to spit
- Fewer bowel movements (less than three in an entire week)
- Lack of appetite
Constipation does not always mean the frequency of bowel movements or the strains your baby shows while pooping. There are extensive signs; once your baby shows such symptoms, you need to seek treatment for constipation.
Note: See a doctor if there is blood in the stool or toilet paper, fever, no bowel movement at all, sudden weight loss, and rectal prolapse.
Gentle Ease and Digestion: Is It the Source Behind the Constipation?
Gentle Ease formula aims to eliminate acid reflux among babies who are sensitive towards lactose and protein. The brand claims relief within 24 hours of usage. Gentle Ease in tons of ways promotes proper digestion among babies.
- The formula contains partially hydrolyzed nonfat milk to substitute regular milk. This nonfat milk formula is way gentler for babies’ guts. It has smaller caseins so that sensitive baby tummies don’t face difficulties while digesting. Moreover, this formula contains more protein than regular breast or cow milk.
- Also, there is Whey protein concentrated from soybean, which is excellent for digestion and a great alternative to cow milk for lactose intolerant babies. A study conducted on 13 babies shows that almost nine babies get relieved from upset stomach and constipation by replacing cow milk with soy milk.
- Gentle Ease contains vegetable oils as fat and corn syrup as carbohydrates. We all know carbs and traditional fats are the most complex elements to digest. Replacing these elements eases digestion and ensures proper bowel movements.
- It has DHA and MFGM, elements that are found only in breastmilk. Thus it contains all the goodness of breastmilk and avoids the sensitive components.
Related article: Drinking Ensure while Pregnant
Substitute Remedies to Treat Constipation
- If there are difficulties during bowel movement, two to four ounces of apple, pear, cherry, or prune juice, basically the dark fruit juice, can be a quick fix.
NB: This juice can cause loose motion as well. Parents must maintain the suggested quantity.
- Switch to oatmeal or barley cereal as they are proven to prevent constipation and soften the stool texture. Rice cereal should be avoided as it is a complex carb and triggers constipation even more.
- Gently massage your baby’s belly. It will pursue some pressure to intrigue bowel movement.
- A warm bath can also help ease the discomfort caused by constipation.
- Proper dietaryfibers andhydration must prevent constipation; beans, whole grains, vegetables are great sources for fibers. A child is suggested to take 20 grams of dietary fiber a day for healthy movements.
- Physical activities such as exercises are also helpful. For infants, parents can mimic bicycle motion to the children to ensure movement.
- A sanitized and lubricated rectal thermometer can accelerate bowel movement in constipated children.
From my fair share of experience, as a working mother, I had to switch my baby girl to Gentle Ease formula for constant gas and bloating. And now I cannot thank enough the pediatrician for suggesting me such lifesaving formula. Even the AAP states that replacing a formula won’t necessarily help to ease constipation; this statement ultimately indicates formulas (Gentle Ease) are not always responsible for causing constipation. Gentle Ease is only to rectify constipation, and by no means can it cause it.